Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Daily, Routine, and Revolutionary

One of my good friends works in the wealth management business, so you can imagine the chaotic state his life has been in for the past 8 months! In the past several the fear and uncertainty that threaten his joy have become the first topic of conversation anywhere, no matter where a person works—or, these days, doesn’t work. Our economic climate has not missed Kristin and me, but it has not affected us as much as many others. Sure, our support is lower than we’d like, and she’s not selling earrings as much. But that’s not nearly as significant as many losses others have incurred. The crazy thing is that much of the same emotions and stress that the economy causes in so many people, we feel every day—and it has nothing to do with the economy!

Every day at 2 o’clock I start readying myself for afternoon workouts at the high school. I head over there each afternoon knowing that this day won’t be like a previous day. Maybe there will be a few new guys there. Maybe there will be a coach I haven’t met yet. Either way, I am faced again with the same mistrust and suspicion that everyone gives me. Friday I went, and there were only two players who stayed around to lift—so we cancelled it. Yesterday none of us could find the coaches. It’s surprising how stressful the uncertainty can be! I gave a freshman a ride home Friday. My head is spinning: “Do I force conversation? He’s obviously young, and so it will be tough…How many questions are too many? What’s too personal?” These things might seem small, but when you’re trying to earn rapport in a community like East St. Louis, they are big!

It’s also hard for me, a person who is really driven, to realize that in three weeks, I’ve spent probably about 5 hours around teenagers. 5 hours, that’s all! But, I think God is using this to teach me the same things that he’s teaching those affected so heavily by the economy. We are called to “walk in the Spirit”. This isn’t done through some thunderbolt and lightning revelation, but through the daily, routine things that we are called to do. Each day I make it a point to study the Bible. I pray. I try my best to ensure Kristin is doing well. I try to check out of everything to keep my sanity. I trust God to lead my by His Spirit as I surrender myself through these actions. And, most of all, I remember why we are here, and that “He who called is faithful”, and it is God’s responsibility to guide, shepherd, and sanctify me. May you embrace this truth wherever you are and whatever you are facing, and may you pursue the daily, routine things that--by His grace--produce revolutionary results!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey boy,
You are an inspiration to those of us here in more comfortable circumstances. Thanks for allowing God to use you, not only in the lives of those in ESL, but also back home. Praying for you!
Wanda

robert c. said...

Shane and kristin, We are praying for you -praying that God will give you perserverance, and His vision for ESL
Bob and Sarah