Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sitting and waiting...and acting too?

Kristin and I got a dog this summer. I think the previous owners must have fed him from the table, because any time there is food around, Buck is around. As I watched him wait patiently before me yesterday, and then lie on the floor beneath my feet, it really hit me: What does it mean to wait before God? You see, Buck eventually gets impatient, and moves on to the next thing--which is the story of my life! But, we aren't called to pray and then do nothing...so what does it mean to really wait on the Lord?

I don't know if I have a great answer for this. I'm still mulling it over. What I've learned so far is that there is a difference between praying and then taking action apart from God, and praying and then taking action in partnership with Him. I think there is a way to wait patiently at His feet even as we act. I am not sure I know exactly how to do this, but I want to continue to learn. Maybe it's having a continuously prayerful mindset? I only know a few people who really live like this--and I'm not one of them. Or maybe it's simply being aware that He is with us and only in Him are those things He calls us to possible? Regardless, this image of Buck at my feet has stuck with me, and I'm fighting to learn what it means to expectantly wait on God to move, even as I move in the direction He is calling me.

No comments: